Houston has two public airports:
- Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) 20 miles north of George R. Brown Convention Center: to get to downtown, follow the signs to Will Clayton Parkway, and then get on I-69 south.
- Hobby Airport (HOU) 10.5 miles southeast of George R. Brown Convention Center: to get to downtown, head east on Airport Boulevard; then get on I-45 (a.k.a. the Gulf Freeway) north.
Bush Intercontinental Airport is a hub for many major airlines. The smaller Hobby Airport is a hub for Southwest Airlines.
FROM THE AIRPORTS TO DOWNTOWN
In the absence of light rail linking the airports to other parts of the city, travelers must use one of the following options to get from Bush or Hobby to downtown:
- Bus: Click for Houston Metro bus schedules. Take bus #102 southbound from Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) to Downtown. Get off either at bus stop #648 (Milam St. at Texas St.) or at bus stop #9531 (Gray St. at La Branch St.). Each of those stops is a 10-15 minute walk from the Hilton Americas-Houston, the George R. Brown Convention Center, and Discovery Green. Take bus #40 northbound from Hobby Airport (HOU) to Downtown. Get off at bus stop #344 (Lamar St. and Milam St.), which is a 10-minute walk from the Hilton Americas-Houston, the George R. Brown Convention Center, and Discovery Green. The cost to ride a local bus is $1.25. Beginning April 1, 2016, riders must pay either with cash or a Q card. METRO’s Customer Care Center phone number is 713-635-4000.
- SuperShuttle: To make reservations, call their 24-hour Customer Care Center at 1-800-258-3826 or visit this page for discounted rates for CCCC attendees. If you call, you will need to know your airline, flight #, airport, and departure and arrival time; and you will need to provide your contact information and form of payment. SuperShuttle should be able to take you to any hotel in the city provided that you tell them your hotel’s name and zip code. The Hilton Americas – Houston adjacent to George R. Brown Convention Center estimates a $24.00+ charge for SuperShuttle service from Bush Intercontinental Airport. (See the next section, “Getting Around Houston,” for information about hotel shuttles.)
- Cab: Lone Star Cab: 713-794-4444, Taxis Fiesta: 713-225-2666, Hail-A-Cab: 713-236-1111, Yellow Cab: 713-224-4445
Click here for details about cab fares and fees from Bush Intercontinental Airport, and click here for these details from Hobby Airport. Note that Bush is farther than Hobby from downtown.
- Rental Car: Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, and Thrifty
Contact information for rental cars at Hobby. (Once here, select Houston Hobby [HOU], and enter the appropriate dates.)
- Uber: Uber operates throughout Houston, providing in-town service as well as service to and from both airports. In early 2015, the City of Houston passed strict regulations requiring that Uber drivers receive background checks and screening. Uber cars can provide a cheaper alternative to cabs. Unlike cabs, though, Uber requires a mobile device that is linked to the user’s credit card. Note: Houston lacks the similar service Lyft.