Here we feature Houston establishments that support national labor-friendly trends. This section is a work in progress, so check in again for updates!
- Aloha Transportation Services Inc.: supports national bill for fair pay
Address: 6009 Richmond Ave # 222, Houston, TX 77057; phone: 713-667-5466
- Hilton Americas-Houston: only union hotel in Houston — and in Texas
Address: 1600 Lamar St., Houston, TX 77010; phone: 713-739-8000
- Joe’s Crab Shack: first chain restaurant in Houston to develop a no-tip policy and pay servers a “living wage” (multiple locations)
- McAlister’s Deli: chain restaurant in Houston with a no-tip policy; pays servers a “living wage” (multiple locations)
- Noodles & Company: chain restaurant in houston with a no-tip policy; pays servers a “living wage” (multiple locations)
- H-E-B: only non-chain deli in Houston that has moved to a no-tip policy and that pays servers a “living wage”; located in a supermarket (multiple locations)
OPEN CARRY UPDATES
In Texas, private business owners may choose whether to allow customers to carry handguns openly in their establishment. To help CCCC attendees make decisions about open carry and the Houston establishments that they visit, we are linking to a spreadsheet with updated business-by-business information for restaurants and grocery stores. Positions taken by businesses include posting signs banning open carry, disallowing open carry but without posting signs, and giving no response.
Click here for the Texas Department of Public Safety’s summary of open carry laws implemented January 1, 2016.
Click here for a January 2, 2016 National Public Radio story on effects on Texas businesses.