Many events are taking place near the CCCC on Friday, April 8, and/or Saturday, April 9. So get out and enjoy the morning, afternoon, or evening!
WRITERS IN THE SCHOOLS (WITS) EVENTS
WITS will hold two free events on April 8 or 9 in Discovery Green:
- Fri., Apr. 8, 6:30-8:00 p.m.: Orbit Slam at Discovery Green: a poetry slam featuring students ages 13-19
- Sat., Apr. 9, 10:30-11:30 a.m.: Young Writers Workshop at Discovery Green: a creative writing workshop for young writers that takes place every Saturday at the Houston Public Library reading room in the park. Space is limited to 25 participants.
So come enjoy the writing and speaking in the park!
SATURDAY MORNING RUN
CCCC attendees may want to participate in an informal small group run through Discovery Green, across the heart of downtown, and into the beautifully landscaped Buffalo Bayou. Runners are encouraged to meet in the lobby of the Hilton Americas – Houston facing Discovery Green at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 9. One or more members of the Hospitality Subcommittee will lead the group east-west across downtown and to the Buffalo Bayou Trail.
Prospective runners should monitor the weather before running. The average daily high temperature in Houston during April is 79 °F. Click here for more information about the city’s typical April weather.
Also, although the group will cross streets at crosswalks and heed all pedestrians laws, runners should watch for unlawful drivers.
Eventually, the Buffalo Bayou Trail splits into multiple paths paralleling and crisscrossing the bayou. The area attracts walkers, bicyclists, pedestrians with dogs, and experienced runners alike.
Eventually, Buffalo Bayou connects to Memorial Park, the largest park inside the 610 loop.
In general, visitors looking for a short route may want to run around Discovery Green, a small park in front of the Hilton Americas-Houston. Runners looking for a longer route, and who feel prepared for both downtown and park settings, may want to consider the following route from the Hilton Americas-Houston:
- Cut south-north across Discover Green.
- Turn left (northwest) onto McKinney St. and proceed ten blocks–through the heart of downtown.
- Turn right onto Bagby St.and proceed one block.
- Turn left onto Walker St., by the Hobby Center for Performing Arts, and proceed until the sidewalk connects to the Buffalo Bayou Walk.
- Continue along Buffalo Bayou using whichever path you prefer. The trail is five miles long.
ART CAR PARADE
On Saturday, 2-4 p.m., Houston’s annual Art Car Parade will roll through downtown, mostly along Smith Street. So come see a beloved city tradition that is likely to amaze, bewilder, and inspire you.
This event is appropriate for both adults and kids. Pre-parade events will occur throughout that Saturday.
JIM BERLIN PUB CRAWL
The Jim Berlin Pub Crawl, a beloved tradition at the CCCC, will occur Saturday, April 9. Cs attendees may join it at any point. After meeting at 6:45 p.m. in the lobby of the Hilton Americas-Houston (the section facing Discovery Green), the pub crawlers will strive to stick to the schedule below. Note: this schedule was updated on April 7, 2016.
- 7 – 8 p.m.: The Grove, 1611 Lamar St., 713-337-7321
- 8 – 9:30 p.m.: Hearsay on the Green, 1515 Dallas St., 832-377-3362
- [The previously scheduled stop at the House of Blues has been canceled.]
- 9:30 – 11 p.m.: Reserve 101, 1201 Caroline St.
- 11 – 11:45 p.m.: The Dirt Bar, 1209 Caroline St., 713-651-3988
All of these establishments are a short walk north or west from the Hilton Americas-Houston. We look forward to seeing you at any or all of them on April 9!
Special thanks to Wendy Walker, Professional Associate Professor of English at Texas A&M University – Corpus Christi, for her help with planning the route.